Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Sicks McGee Me

I woke up this morning, and it felt like any other day. That is, if any other day includes a knife lodged in your throat and a solid mass of mucus in your chest. I immediately craved tea, but instead rolled over and decided to go back to sleep for a few more hours.

I woke up again at ten, to the lovely sounds of the weekly check of the tornado sirens. At that point I said to myself, "Get up! Be productive!" and all the other motivational junk that makes one arise when they feel terrible.

I meekly made my way to my laptop, where I functioned normally for about ten minutes. I checked my email, looked over twitter, etc., etc. My computer decided it needed to restart to update itself. Why a computer that I just got last week needed to be updated remains a mystery to me, but I just went with it because my brain was starting to feel fuzzy. I decided to rest while my computer did, and so I meandered back to my room and laid in my bed.

I must've drifted off, because the next moment in time from my memory is being woken up by a text message from my roommate, telling me that I needed to meet the group for lunch. I decided that some fresh air and food would do me well, so I got up and went to lunch.

Looking back, this was the beginning of the end. I ordered too large of a meal, and vegged on chips and salsa beforehand. Thinking about the food now makes me wish I was near a toilet, though, so I won't go on about lunch.

After lunch, I went home to work on one of my projects. On my way back, though, my head got immensely more heavy and I felt terribly like the sun was my mortal enemy, trying to attack me in sheer presence. I got home, laid down, and felt worse and worse.

Enter Friend 1. She innocently asked me how my day was on Google chat, which led to a tirade of how crappy I was feeling, and me asking her for a ride to a medicinal outlet. She agreed, and so I napped while she headed over. She bore my childishness like a champ, and definitely received friend points for the endeavor, because I am not pleasant when I am feeling ill.

We arrived at the store, and I couldn't figure out what I wanted. After consulting the pharmacist at the store, I decided upon Tylenol severe cold and sinus and Mucinex, to break up my chest congestion. I got home around 3:30 and took four pills at once.

I rested. I contemplated. I bemoaned my existence.

Eventually, I came to the conclusion that I had to go to work, because nobody could take over for me. I was feeling slightly better, so I thought that I would be fine. Not willing to risk anything, I smartly loaded a bag with a pillow and throw.

I headed to work. My coworkers could tell I was not up for much. I finished my normally Wednesday night routine at work with an efficiency I did not expect from myself, and then waited. I could take my drugs again at 7:30! The time drug by. 6:00, 6:30, and finally 7:00 was when I could take no more of the pain throbbing through my entire body. I told my coworkers that I was going to sleep in the corner, and to wake me if they needed me.

It was freezing, so I curled up under my blanket and against my pillow for warmth. I waited. Finally, 7:30 came and I walked with great purpose towards the water fountain, toting my manna-like Tylenol. I took a sip, and then, for fear of freezing myself, hastily took the medicine. Unfortunately, the damage had already been done. The ice cold water had made its way all over my hoodie and pants, and I was worse than I had started. I feared pneumonia, even though rationally I knew that to be quite improbable.

I made my way back to the comfort of my blanket, curled up, and hoped I would dry before gangrene set in. I woke up again around 8:30, to the sound of Friend 2. A coworker of mine, she had come into work to finish the shift, and saw me curled up looking as if I had "skinned the Cookie monster," even though my throw was green. She asked me what was wrong, and I explained the situation. She got me soup. It was delicious, especially with the crackers and especially since I hadn't eaten since the chips and salsa excursion earlier in the day.

My replacement came in around 9:15p.m., and let me leave early. I wearily made my way to my car, and hoped I wouldn't pass out on the way home. Fortunately, my gas didn't run out, although I'm not sure if my car will start tomorrow (that's how low the tank is). I made it home, and I have decided to post a few conclusions/observations to my day.

1. Friends are awesome.
2. Don't eat Mexican when you feel ill.
3. Allergies are the devil.
4. Either I am way more attractive, or way more hideous when I am incapacitated. I received several up-downs and a guy held the door open for me an excessive amount of time.
5. I am like a child/man when I am sick, except worse, because I'm smart enough to know better than to act like either aforementioned types.

No comments:

Post a Comment